Port Burwell Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 10
N0J 1T0 ,
This is one of the oldest wooden lighthouses in Canada. It was restored in 1986 by Mennonite craftsmen using the same hand tools and techniques used when it was originally built.
Tower Height: 65
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1840
Date Present Tower Built: 1840
Date Deactivated: 1963
Optics: 18??: Third order Fresnel lens, still in place.
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes
Across from the lighthouse is a museum exhibiting marine and domestic artifacts. The museum has one of the best collections of lighthouse lenses on the Great Lakes. The museum is open mid-May to Labor Day, other times by arrangement. The lighthouse serves as a tourist information office. Visitors are welcome to climb to the top ($1 fee).
Keepers: Thomas Bellairs (1840-1852), Alexander Sutherland (1852-1873), John Sutherland (?-1963).