There may have been a simple beacon here as early as 1769. The station was razed in 1961 to make room for the expansion of a submarine base.
As of 2011 the original light tower at Ballast Point was still standing on private property in Lakeside, California. As of 2011 the original fog bell was in private ownership in Vermont. As of 2011, the 5th order Fresnel lens from Ballast Point Lighthouse was on display at Old Point Loma Lighthouse in California. The lantern room from Ballast Point is now on display outside of the West Sea Company in San Diego, California.
Description of Tower: Square tower attached to dwelling
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1890
Date Deactivated: 1961
Optics: Fog bell (now privately owned)
Fog Signal: Fog bell is now at the San Diego Maritime Museum, 1306 Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101, phone (619) 234-9153.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: James Relue Sweet (1903-1910), Herman Engel (1914-1931), Radford F. Franke (Coast Guard, c. 1930s-1957)