Lighthouse Service, Naval Department
This lighthouse was built to replace the Capelinhos Lighthouse, located a few miles to the northwest, which was severely damaged by an earthquake in 1957.
Tower Height: 46
Height of Focal Plane: 374
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 10 seconds, visible for 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White truncated conical tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: Late 1950s?
Date Present Tower Built: Late 1950s?
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only (?)