This lighthouse was moved when the pier was extended in 1896. It became a front range light, with a post light 600 feet away serving as the rear range. In 1912, the lighting equipment from the post light was relocated to a 66-foot wooden post 200 yards behind a new lighthouse on the North Pier, and the South Pier (range front) Light was destroyed. An automated light on a 35-foot skeletal tower was installed at the end of the South Pier. The pier was later shortened in the 1930s.
Height of Focal Plane: 25
Description of Tower: Wooden, square pyramidal tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1873
Date Deactivated: 1912
Optics: Sixth-order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Fog bell in wooden tower. 1901: air-operated siren.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: John H. King (1873-?); Albert Vorce (c. 1884)