Canadian Coast Guard
The 1843 lighthouse was replaced in 1916 because the shifting sands of Long Point had left it dangerously close to the water; it became a hazard and was burned down in 1929. The second order Fresnel lens from the 1843 lighthouse is now on display at the Port Burwell Marine Museum. The present lighthouse was originally 102 feet tall; it was shortened as part of a renovation in the 1980s. The lighthouse stands today within the Long Point Biosphere Reserve. For more information see the web site at www.kwic.com/~longpointbio/
Tower Height: 86
Height of Focal Plane: 97
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 8 seconds, range 25 miles.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1830: Conical stone tower, 60 feet tall. 1843: White octagonal wooden tower, 75 feet tall.
Date Established: 1830
Date Present Tower Built: 1916
Date Automated: c. 1984
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is virtually inaccessible to the public.
Keepers: Keepers: Thomas Price (1830- ), Moses Newkirk, Henry Hawkins (Harry) Clark, Harry Woodward (1867-1893), W. Stalker (1893-1897), S.B. Cook (1897- ), Lorne Brown (1928-1955), Bill Ansley (1955-1984), Clayton Schofield (assistant, 1962-c. 1980), Bill Lamb (assistant, 1962-1965)