Bureau des Phares et Balises
The first lighthouse here, built in 1836, was found to be too low, and a new, taller tower was built in 1868. The two towers stood side by side until they were destroyed by the Germans in 1944. The current lighthouse, designed by Georges Tourry, an architect involved in the postwar reconstruction effort, was completed in 1951.
Tower Height: 147
Height of Focal Plane: 144
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds, visible for 23 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Circular, pre-stressed concrete tower with red and white bands.
This light is operational
1836: White conical tower rising from the roof of the keeper's house, focal plane height of 66 feet. 1868: White conical tower, adjacent to the old lighthouse, focal plane height of 87 feet.
Date Established: 1836
Date Present Tower Built: 1951
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!