Bureau des Phares et Balises
The present lighthouse here, built on the old Fort Risban, replaced the light on Calais's medieval Tour du Guet. The lighthouse survived the two world wars unscathed. In 1992, the original bricks lining the exterior of the tower, which had worn out after nearly 150 years, were replaced by glazed bricks.
Tower Height: 167
Height of Focal Plane: 194
Characteristic and Range: Four white flashes every 15 seconds, visible for 22 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal brick tower with a black upper portion and lantern; dwelling attached.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1848
Date Present Tower Built: 1848
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!