In the 19th century, two lights shown from masts on the east pier were used as tidal signals. By the early 20th century, the rear light was shown from a concrete tower, 930 yards from the front light, with a focal plane height of 20 feet; that tower was destroyed in 1918 and later replaced by a taller lighthouse. Different colors were used to indicate the depth of water over the bar into the River Rother: green for a depth of 7 feet, red for a depth of 8 feet, red and white for a depth of 9 feet and white for a depth of 10 feet or more. No light was shown when depth was less than 7 feet. It is unclear when the rear tower was demolished.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Description of Tower: 1920s: Hexagonal concrete tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1864
Date Deactivated: ?
Current Use: Destroyed.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!