The origins of the fort go back to the 16th century, when it was built on a Portuguese design by the tenth king of Gowa. The fort was captured and destroyed by the Dutch in 1667, then rebuilt as Fort Rotterdam, which today is a major attraction in the city of Ujung Pandang (formerly known as Makassar). Some sources suggest there was a light here as early as 1812. There are indications the lighthouse was destroyed shortly before 1920.
Height of Focal Plane: 47
Description of Tower: White conical stone tower on a square base.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1861
Date Deactivated: c. 1918
Current Use: Destroyed.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!