The original light at this location was a moveable wood structure on wheels. It was replaced by a new wooden lighthouse in 1854, then was replaced again in 1864 and 1879. The keeper's wife was killed in a hurricane in 1874. The lighthouse burned down in 1940, and the light was transferred to the top of a Coast Guard building in 1943. That light is no longer in service.
Description of Tower: 1853: 30' wooden tower on wooden platform on wheels; 1854: Wooden tower with light 35 feet above sea level; 1864: 34' wooden tower, destroyed by storm Sept. 1874; 1879: Wooden cottage-style screwpile structure; 1943: Light on Coast Guard building.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1853
Date Deactivated: ?
Date Automated: 1939
Optics: 1854: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.