Calvert Marine Museum
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 97
This lighthouse was moved to the Calvert Marine Museum in 1975. It is one of only three screwpile, cottage-type lighthouses remaining of the 45 that once stood in the Chesapeake Bay around 1900.
Tower Height: 47
Description of Tower: White, octagonal wood tower and black cast iron lantern on roof of keeper's quarters.
This light is not operational
Integral 1.5 story keeper's quarters.
Date Established: 1883
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Date Deactivated: 1962
Date Automated: 1960
Optics: 1883: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Originally bell.
Current Use: Museum exhibit.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Calvert Marine Museum is open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed New Years Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Sightseeing cruises are available from the museum dock from May through October.
Calvert Marine Museum is located on State Route 2 in Solomons, Maryland, 20 miles south of Prince Frederick.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Benjamin N. Gray (1883-?), James Locke Weems (c. early 1900s), William Yeatman (1918-1919), John Hansen (c. 1940s - 1960)