This was the first lighthouse built in the U.S. outside the 13 original colonies. The last lighthouse tower in this location was discontinued in 1878 and no longer stands.
This light is not operational
1811: Octagonal wooden tower on artificial island, destroyed by storm in 1837, 1838: New tower, 48 feet above sea level, 1855: Screwpile cottage-type lighthouse, badly damaged in 1860 hurricane, 1869: Tower on 1855 screwpile foundation.
Date Established: 1811
Date Deactivated: 1878
Optics: 1869: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Lieutenant ? Sands (1811-1820), Pierre Brousseau (1821-?), John Clement (1848-?), A. B. Shelby (1856-?), Robert Gage (1869-?).