Canadian Coast Guard
The second Cape Norman tower was initially a "segmented cast iron tower," but it was later encased in a concrete shell with flying buttresses, based on the design developed by William P. Anderson, chief engineer and superintendent of lighthouses at the Canadian Department of Marine and Fisheries. It was demolished in 1963. As of January 2003, this is still a staffed light station.
Tower Height: 50
Height of Focal Plane: 116
Characteristic and Range: Flash 0.5 s; eclipse 5.5 s; flash 0.5 s; eclipse 5.5 s; flash 0.5 s; eclipse 17.5 s. Visible for 21 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1871: White hexagonal wooden tower. 1907: Cast iron tower, encased in a concrete shell with eight flying buttresses.
Date Established: 1871
Date Present Tower Built: 1963
Fog Signal: 1880: diaphone horn. 1971: automated horn, three second blast every 30 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The light station is accessible by gravel road.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Henry Locke (1871-?), John Campbell (?)