It is common knowledge that the lighthouse keepers of yesteryear were good at adapting just about anything and everything to fit into making life easier and more efficient at their respective lighthouses.
Those traits have been inherited by the modern caretakers at the Rozewie Lighthouse, one of the most popular lighthouses in Poland. Located on the northern most coast of the nation, tourists flock to the area to see its lighthouses, especially the Rozewie Lighthouse.
Recently the Society of Friends of the Polish Maritime Museum, in cooperation with the Gdynia Harbor Masters Office and the Polish Maritime Museum, revitalized the 1872 foghorn building and the machine shop as exhibit areas at the Rozewie Lighthouse. They also made an old bakery and fish smokery accessible to tourists.
However, another building near the lighthouse remained an eyesore. Not long ago it contained a motley assortment of agricultural implements, as well as piles of hay and straw. As the life style of the lighthouse keepers changed, the building was gradually turned into a lumber-room and continued to fall into a state of disrepair. Finally the Society decided the time had come to restore it for use for exhibits and other cultural events.
Naturally there was a lot of discussion as to what the building would be named. Finally they decided to call it “The Barn,” the name by which it had always been known.
(Information and photographs courtesy of Apoloniusz Lysejko)
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2011 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.