Eagle Light Caretakers
Contact Address Information:
c/o Sam Howe
2742 Normandy Drive NW
After automation the Coast Guard destroyed all the buildings at the light station except the lighthouse and the bell tower, which is privately owned. Under the Maine Lights Program the lighthouse was transferred to the Eagle Light Caretakers.
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 106
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every four seconds.
Description of Tower: White conical granite tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1939 wooden, pyramidal fog bell tower. All other buildings were demolished in 1964.
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1838
Date Automated: 1959
Optics: 1858: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm solar powered.
Fog Signal: 1838: Fog bell and tower; 1932: new 4,200 pound fog bell.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Eagle Island Light is difficult to see from shore. It is probably best seen from some of the special lighthouse cruises from Camden on board the Lively Lady Too; see www3.sympatico.ca/lively.lady/
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: John Spear (1838-1841, 1843-1848); ? Spear (wife of John, 1848); Nathan Philbrook (1841-1843); Daniel Moore (1849-1850); William Smith (1850-1853); R.C. Clay (1853-1858, 1859-1861); Rodney Witherspoon (1861-1871); A. P. Sweetland (1871-1883); John Ball (1883-1898); Howard T. Ball (1898-1913); Lucy Ball (1913); Edward S. Farren (1913-1918); Charles W. Allen (1919-1931); Frank E. Bracey, Jr. (1931-1945); Chester Burnham (Coast Guard, 1945-1946); Calvin Curtis (Coast Guard, 1946-1949); Ralph Banks (Coast Guard, 1949-1952); Edmund Sedgwick (Coast Guard, 1952-1955), Roy Louder (Coast Guard, 1955-1956); Edward Le Tendre (Coast Guard, 1956-1957); Wayne McGraw (1957-1959); ? Bok (Coast Guard, c. 1959).