Salem Maritime National Historic Site
Email: SAMA _Administration@nps.gov
Contact Address Information:
174 Derby Street
Because of its proximity to the town itself, this lighthouse never had a resident keeper; it was maintained by caretakers until its automation in 1917. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1977 and was then relighted in 1983 as a private aid to navigation.
Tower Height: 23
Height of Focal Plane: 25
Characteristic and Range: Flashing red every six seconds
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower with black cast iron lantern
This light is operational
Date Established: 1871
Date Present Tower Built: 1871
Date Deactivated: 1977-1983
Optics: Sixth order Fresnel lens; now 155 mm, solar powered
Current Use: Private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From downtown Salem, follow Hawthorne Blvd. to Derby Street and turn left. The lighthouse is at the end of Derby Wharf, across from the old Customs House.
Keepers: Robert Peele Jr. (1873-1885); John Lynch (1885-1905); Shepley Paul Sawyer (1905-1908); Charles L. Wales (1908-1911), N. C. Tedford (1911-1913), William M. Osgood (1913?-1917)