Commissioners of Irish Lights
There have been lighthouses in the vicinity since 1668. Baily Lighthouse was the site of an early experiment with gas light in 1865. The large building on the site was used as a training school for lightkeepers from 1973 to 1995. This was the last Irish lighthouse to be automated.
Tower Height: 43
Height of Focal Plane: 134
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 15 seconds (exhibited by day in poor visibility); range 27 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical granite tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1814
Date Present Tower Built: 1814
Date Automated: 1997
Optics: First order Fresnel lens, now on display at the National Maritime Museum in Dun Laoghaire.
Fog Signal: 1853: fog bell, 1867: reed horn operated by compressed air, 1879: fog siren, 1926: diaphone horn. Now discontinued.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Kevin Murphy (1956-1967), Donal Sullivan (assistant, c. 1995), John Crowley (c. 1995), Brendan Carty (c. 1997)