Contact Address Information:
This lighthouse had to be replaced as an aid to navigation in 1961 because its light was obscured by a nuclear power plant. You can see across the channel to France from the top. The 1792 keepers' quarters, which originally were built around the base of the lighthouse built that year, still survive.
Tower Height: 143
Description of Tower: Black, conical brick tower.
This light is not operational
White round keepers' quarters (1792).
1615: Open coal fire; 1635: tower with coal fire; 1792: Stone tower, similar to Smeaton's Eddystone tower.
Date Established: 1615
Date Present Tower Built: 1904
Date Deactivated: 1961
Current Use: Historic attraction.
Open To Public? Yes.
The lighthouse is open daily from June 1 to September 30, 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Weekends only in March, April, May and October. Open bank holidays and school holidays (Easter-October). Visitors are welcome to climb the 169 steps to the top. Not accessible for wheelchair users. The lighthouse is licensed for weddings and civil ceremonies.
Located close to the RH&DR station (last stop).