Essex National Heritage Commission
Contact Address Information:
10 Federal St.
The 1798 twin lights at Baker's Island were among the first twin lights in the U.S. New towers were built in 1820. They were known as the "Ma and Pa" or "Mr. and Mrs." lighthouses. The surviving tower was the taller of the two; the shorter tower was discontinued and demolished in 1926. The island is managed by the Baker's Island Association and is not open to the general public. On August 27, 2014 ownership of the Lighthouse was transferred to the Essex National Heritage Commission.
Tower Height: 59
Height of Focal Plane: 111
Characteristic and Range: Alternating white and red flashes every 20 seconds. White visible for 16 nautical miles, red for 14.
Description of Tower: White conical granite tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1878 1.5 story wood keeper's house, 1907 brick fog signal building, second keeper's dwelling, oil house.
1791: day marker; 1798: Two towers on roof of keeper's dwelling, 40 feet apart; 1820: two stone towers (taller tower survives).
Date Established: 1798
Date Present Tower Built: 1820
Date Automated: 1972
Optics: 1855: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 190 mm, solar powered. Fresnel lens is now at the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland, ME.
Fog Signal: c. 1870s: Fog bell and striking mechanism in tower; 1907: Air siren; 1959: Air horn; now automated horn with one three-second blast every 30 seconds..
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Baker's Island Light can be seen distantly from Salem Willows Park and Winter Island in Salem, from Marblehead Neck in Marblehead, and from Manchester-by-the-Sea's Boardman Avenue/Harbor Street loop. It can also be seen from lighthouse cruises offered by the Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands, call (781) 740-4290 for information. It can also be seen from cruises aboard the M/V Hannah Glover, departing from Pickering Wharf Marina in Salem. The vessel accommodates up to 149 passengers. A 90-minute narrated harbor & lighthouse tour is available for groups of 15 or more. Call (978) 740-1001 or see www.rockmore.us
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: George Chapman (1798-1815); Joseph Perkins (1815-1829); Ambrose Martin (1829-1843); Daniel Norwood (1843-?); Robert Peal (?); ? Russell (?-1861); Charles J. Williams (1861-1871); George Hobbs (1871-1874); Walter S. Rogers, assistant (1872-1874), then keeper (1874-1881, 1892-1911); James F. Lundgren, assistant, (1878-1881), then keeper (1881-1892); Eugene Terpeny (assistant, c.1893-1894), Elliott Hadley (1911-1918); Arthur L. Payne (1918-1943); Ernest Sampson, assistant (c. 1940); Benjamin E. Stewart (Coast Guard, c. 1940s); Paul Baptiste (Coast Guard, 1946-1951); Red Dawson (Coast Guard, ?); Bob Johnson (Coast Guard, ?); Clifford Willis (Coast Guard, ?); Leonard Mullen (Coast Guard, ?); Paul Guy (Coast Guard, ?); Paul Black (Coast Guard, ?); Andrew M. McLaughlin (Coast Guard Third Class Engineman, February 1956 - July 1956); Richard J. LaLonde (Coast Guard, First Class Engineman, c. 1956); Tex Blanchard (Coast Guard, ?); Allen C. Farrell (Coast Guard, ?); Gerald E. Ryan (Coast Guard, ?); Donald G. Trecartin (Coast Guard, 1962-?); Roger L. Lamascus (Coast Guard assistant, 1962-?); Randall Anderson (Coast Guard, c. 1967); John Krebs (Coast Guard, c. 1967).