The lantern from this lighthouse was installed in the new Cape Reinga Lighthouse in 1941. There is now an automatic light ona fiberglass tower at this location. The lighthouse ruins on Motuopao Islet are protected by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust, with a category 2 rating.
Description of Tower: Wooden tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1879
Date Deactivated: 1941
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Alexander Greenlees McKinlay (1890-1894), John Frederick Rayner (1894-1897), Charles Hepburn Orlando Robson (August 22, 1982 to November 1984)