Cedar Island Lighthouse Committee of the Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society
Cedar Island has been attached to the mainland by a sand bar since 1938. The lighthouse was acquired by Suffolk County in 1967. It was badly damaged by a fire in 1974. Since then the lighthouse has continued to detriorate and has suffered from frequent vandalism. A group called the Friends of Cedar Island Lighthouse is trying to preserve the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 44
Description of Tower: Square, unpainted granite tower attached to keeper's house.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is not operational
Attached 1868 two story granite keeper's house.
1839: Wooden tower.
Date Established: 1839
Date Present Tower Built: 1864
Date Deactivated: 1934
Optics: 1855: Sixth order Fresnel lens; 1869: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: 1882: Fog bell and striking machinery.
Current Use: Abandoned.
Open To Public? No.
From NY 114: Turn onto Stephan Hands Path (about 4.7 miles southwest of Sag Harbor) at a traffic light. Turn left on Cedar Street, then right on Old Northwest (Ave.?). Turn right at Northwest, left at Alewife Brook, then right into Cedar Point County Park. The lighthouse is at the end of a spit extending out below the bluff overlook in the park. The park is open all year, daily from 8 am to 10 pm.
Keepers: Frederick King (1839-?); W. W. Seaman (1869-1880); Charles J. Mulford (c. 1900); John F. Anderson (May 16, 1912 to Oct 1, 1917); William H. Follett (c. 1917-1934).