U.S. Coast Guard
As sand built up to the north around the Cape Henlopen Lighthouse established in 1767, it was decided a new light was needed. The Cape Henlopen Beacon was built about 3/4 mile to the north of the earlier lighthouse. From 1824-1854 one keeper maintained both the old and new lights; in 1854 a keeper's house was added at the Cape Henlopen Beacon. A new lighthouse was built at the tip of Cape Henlopen in 1864. The Beacon was eventually replaced by a new light at the east end of the Delaware Breakwater.
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white.
Description of Tower: 1825: 45-foot white, conical stone tower. 1864: Octagonal wooden tower on top of two story white, wooden keeper's dwelling on screwpile foundation, with red lantern. The light was 45 feet above sea level.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1825
Date Deactivated: 1884
Optics: 1854: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: John Ware (1825-?); William Elligood (1849-?)