This lighthouse was made useless by shifting sandbars and channels, but it remained in operation until destroyed by lightning in August 1818. It was replaced by a lightship for a few years until Ocracoke Lighthouse was built in 1823. The builder of this lighthouse was Henry Dearborn, who also built the first Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.
Tower Height: 64
Description of Tower: Pyramid-shaped wooden tower covered with shingles, on a stone foundation.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1798
Date Deactivated: 1818
Optics: One large lamp with four wicks.
Current Use: Destroyed.