Faulkner's Light Brigade
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 444
Faulkner's Island Light is Connecticut's second oldest lighthouse and the state's only active lighthouse on an island. The keeper's house was destroyed by fire in 1976. After the light was automated in 1978, the tower fell into disrepair. Local residents started the Faulkner's Light Brigade in 1991 to save the lighthouse. A $200,000 renovation was completed in late 1999. Erosion control methods are being implemented by the Army Corps of Engineers; the lighthouse is a little more than 30 feet from the edge of a bluff.
Tower Height: 46
Height of Focal Plane: 94
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal brownstone tower with brick lining.
This light is operational
1922 fog signal building, boathouse (c. 1940), observation shelter, two cisterns.
Date Established: 1802
Date Present Tower Built: 1802
Date Automated: 1978
Optics: c. 1838: 12 lamps and reflectors; 1840: 9 lamps and 16
Fog Signal: 1873: Bell with striking machinery; 1880: First class steam whistle; 1902: First class compressed air siren; 1939: air-diaphragm horn; now automatic horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, in wildlife refuge.
Open To Public? No.
Faulkner's Light Brigade holds an open house each September, call (203) 453-8400 for information. Visitors must provide their own boat transportation. Access to the island is restricted during the tern nesting season from May to August.
The lighthouse can be seen distantly from Guilford. From I-95 north or south: Take exit 58 and follow CT 77 (Church St.) into Guilford Center. Turn right on Broad Street, then left on Whitfield and follow to a marina with free parking. The lighthouse can be seen to the south.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Joseph Griffing (1802-1812); Solomon Stone, Jr. (1812-1818); Eli Kimberly (1818-1851); Oliver N. Brooks (1851-1882); William Jones (1882-c. 1890); Frank Parmelee (assistant, c. 1884-?); Ernest Hermann (1890-1901); Howard Poe (1901-1909); James Boyce (assistant, c. 1905); William J. Hannighan (assistant, 1906); Conrad Hawk (assistant, c. 1909); Elmer T. Rathbun (1909-1911); Frederick R. Campbell (assistant, 1912-1913); Arthur Jensen (1911-1916); Edward M. Grant (assistant, 1914); Herbert L. Greenwood (1916-1919); Leonard Fuller (1919-1924); William Hartwick (assistant, c. 1920); Samuel Fuller (1924-?); Robert L. Howard (c. 1927-1928); Arthur J. Minzner (assistant, c. 1928); George Zuius (1935-1941); Harold Burbine (Coast Guard, c. 1940s), Stephen Talgo (Coast Guard, c. 1940s); William Parker (Coast Guard asst. 1945-1946); Robert Baranksi (Coast Guard 1957-1958); Jim Marshall (Coast Guard, 1958-1962); James Overton (Coast Guard officer in charge c. late 1960s); Robert Ewing (Coast Guard, c. 1965); Steve Martin (Coast Guard 1966-1970); Tony Fox (Coast Guard, c. 1973); John Von Ogden (Coast Guard, 1975-1976); Mark Robinson (Coast Guard Officer in Charge 1975-1976)