Austin Oke Sheppard (22 May 1844- 26 Jan 1927) was the son of John Sheppard, keeper at Fort Amherst, grandson of Robert Oke, Chief Inspector of Lighthouses, and nephew of Austin Innot Oke. Austin Oke Sheppard became assistant keeper at Fort Amherst at age 16 y (1860), and sometime by 1870 was Acting Keeper at Dodding Head, Great Burin Island Light. He then worked as head keeper at Cape Spear (1880-1886) and Fort Amherst(1887-1924).
Description of Tower: 1858: Round lantern and tower rising from the roof of a square dwelling, focal plane height of 430 feet. 1926: White square pyramidal wooden tower, focal plane height of 330 feet.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1856
Optics: This lighthouse has been replaced by a skeleton tower.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Austin Oke Sheppard (c. 1866), Richard G. Marshall (c. 1892)