Breton National Wildlife Refuge
Contact Address Information:
Southeast Louisiana Refuges
1010 Gause Blvd.
Since Hurricane Georges in 1998, this lighthouse has been standing in water. In about 2001, it was replaced as an aid to navigation by a modern skeletal tower. In September 2004, Hurricane Ivan left the lighthouse about 300 yards offshore. NOTE: This lighthouse was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005.
Tower Height: 100
Height of Focal Plane: 99
Description of Tower: Brown, cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder and black lantern.
This light is not operational
1848: 55-foot brick tower (destroyed in 1852 storm), 1855: Brick tower, destroyed in storm in 1893.
Date Established: 1848
Date Present Tower Built: 1896
Date Deactivated: c. 2001
Date Automated: 1966
Optics: 1896: Three and one-half order Fresnel lens (now on display at Louisiana War Memorial in Baton Rouge), now 300 mm optic.
Open To Public? No.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: George A.H. Frombling (1848-?); Alexander Lea (c. 1852); Benjamin F. Midgett (1855-?); Thorwald Hansen (1896-?).