A coal fire in this lighthouse was lit only when incoming vessels were expected. A seaward opening at the level of the brazier was blocked by a door, which was opened only when the lights of incoming boats were seen. The wall next to the tower prevented the fire being seen from vessels too far to the north; when the light came into view the boat had cleared the dangers off the harbor mouth.
Description of Tower: Conical sandstone tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: c. 1811
Date Present Tower Built: c. 1811
Date Deactivated: c. 1850s
Current Use: Historic attraction.