For some years the two previous Cape Arago lighthouses stood along with the present one. The 1866 tower was dynamited in 1937; the 1909 building was destroyed in the 1960s. The lighthouse was renovated by the Coast Guard in 1993.It was deactivated as an aid to navigation on January 1, 2006. In 2012, the bridge from the mainland to the lighthouse was demolished. In August of 2013, under federal legislation, the ownership of the lighthouse transferred to the Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siusaw..
Tower Height: 44
Height of Focal Plane: 100
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 30 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower attached to fog signal building.
This light is operational
Integral concrete fog signal building.
1866: Octagonal iron tower; 1909: Octagonal wooden tower attached to keeper's quarters.
Date Established: 1866
Date Present Tower Built: 1934
Date Deactivated: 2006
Date Automated: 1966
Optics: 1866: Fourth order Fresnel lens (now at Coos Bay History Museum in Coos Bay, Oregon), now VRB-25 solar powered optic.
Fog Signal: Automated horn.
Current Use: Unknown.
Open To Public? No.
The shore opposite this lighthouse can be reached via a footpath in Sunset Bay State Park, at 10965 Cape Arago Highway in Coos Bay. For information on this park call 541-888-4902.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Frederick Amundsen, William Denning.